E-Readers are like marmite, you either love them or hate them. If you’re one of the former, then you might want to check out Amazons latest flagship device – The Kindle Oasis (2nd gen – 2017 edition).
The Oasis comes packing a huge 7” high resolution screen with 300ppi, this helps make the text look just as good as you would get from a book, the Oasis is also waterproof to IPX8 standards which means it can stand immersion in water with a depth up to 2 metres for around 60 minutes. Just like the other Kindles, this is glare free device which is perfect for some reading under the sun, additionally there is an ambient light sensor which allows the device to adjust the screen brightness automatically.
The e-reader is ridiculously light, coming in at only 194g and measuring at 3.4mm at its thinnest point. There’s a bulbous part at the back that helps you hold the device better with one hand. The screen is flush with the bezel and the back is made of aluminium which helps give it that luxurious feeling. There’s 2 physical buttons that are used to change the pages, the power button is on the top and the USB charging port at the bottom. The battery life has improved vastly over the 1st gen Oasis, reading up to 30 mins a day you can expect up to 6 weeks battery life without the need for a charge or an additional battery case.
A great new feature seen on the updated Oasis is the inbuilt Bluetooth, you can now listen to Audible audio books should you want to give your eyes a rest. I can see this being really handy for chilling out by the pool or when you’re at home doing the chores.
Something worth knowing is the device doesn’t come with a headphone jack, like the other market leaders, Amazon (unfortunately) removed it to help keep the size down. If you want to listen to audio you’ll need to pair it with wireless headphones or wireless speakers (awkwardly that doesn’t cover playing it through your phone).
There are 3 variants available: 8GB Wi-Fi, 32GB Wi-Fi, 32GB Wi-Fi and 3G (free data).
- Looks and feels stylish and luxurious.
- Feature packed device like no other.
- Great screen size and resolution.
- Easy to use with one hand.
- Battery life.
- Audible access – over 200,000 titles available.
- No microSD slot – audio books take up a fair bit of space.
- Audio books can only be downloaded over Wi-Fi, not 3G.
- Flagship Kindle, flagship price. Luxury doesn’t come cheap.
- The gyroscope inside can be a bit over sensitive causing the page to turn upside down when you don’t want it to – not a big flaw but annoying.
- Waterproof: IPX8 – immersion in water up to 2 metres for 60 minutes.
- Screen Size: 7″.
- Pixel Density: 300ppi.
- Resolution: 1680 x 1264.
- Storage: 35 audiobooks with 8GB model or 160 audiobooks with the 32GB model.
- Built in light with 12 LEDs.
- Colour: Graphite with an aluminium back.
- Battery Life: Up to 6 weeks on a single charge.
- Connectivity: Dependant on model Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi + free 3G. Wi-Fi supports 802.11b, 802.11g or 802.11n.
- Weight: 194 grams.
- Dimensions: 159 mm x 141 mm x 3.4 – 8.3 mm.
If you can afford the splurge then this is the best e-reader to date. The perfect companion on any holiday.