The Philips Hue Light Strip is a two-metre long flexible strip embedded with colour changing LED lights along the whole of its length. The flexible light can be fixed almost anywhere, brightening and enlivening every room in the home.
The LEDs are capable of creating a whopping 16 million colours. This gives you the power to paint your walls a new colour on a whim. This is great for breathing new life into your room, you really can set the mood by picking the right colour.
This smart light is perfect for everyone! Almost anyone can find a use for a light strip somewhere in the home. They are perfect as uplighters/downlighters, under kitchen cabinets, as a guide-way track or emergency lighting in passages and walkways.
The Philips Hue LightStrip has a mains power connection as standard, and there are one-metre extensions available which can be added to give the strip extra length – as many extensions can be added as desired, and up to nine Hue LightStrips can share one power point, so energy efficient are they. The light strips are versatile, should you need to they can be cut down to size to ensure you get the perfect fit.
There are a number of similar products on the market, such as the Flexible RGB Mains Powered Strip Lighting Kit from Maplin, and the Waterproof LED Tape Kit from Simple Lighting. These are both cheaper than the Philips Hue LightStrip, and for good reason: the lights on the Maplin offering are big and rather intrusive when compared to the subtle brightness of the Hue LightStrip, and the Simple Lighting offering is only one metre long – half the length of the Philips’ version – and only comes in white.
In my opinion Philips Hue LightStrip comes out on top of all the competitors. When I ordered one for this review it arrived in good time and in good condition. I connected to the app and spent a few minutes working out how to set up the lights (which works with the likes of Amazon’s Echo for smart-house controls) and how to change the colour. Then I spent the afternoon, for want of a better word, playing with the light strip! It works brilliantly and you will be very impressed at the difference made to a gloomy corner by adding a little bit of coloured light. I promptly ordered two more and installed them in the kitchen and living room. The third strip fits beautifully underneath my kitchen cabinets, casting a light onto whatever I’m doing when I’m cooking. I keep that light on white (otherwise the food looks strange!) and I honestly can’t imagine trying to cook without it now. The one downside is the poor adhesion on the backing strip – as many other reviewers found, it is far too weak for purpose. I had read some of these reviews before purchasing my LightStrips and had picked up some strong double-sided tape – which has, so far, worked admirably.
The Philips Hue LightStrip has a suggested retail price of around seventy pounds.
- Hue LightStrips can be used almost anywhere in the home.
- Multiple extensions mean that the light strips can be lengthened as required to brighten lengthy passageways.
- Adhesive backing allows the lights to be put up without the need for wiring or conduits.
- Range of colours to suit any décor.
- Part of the Hue range, all of which works seamlessly together.
- Philips is a known, tried and trusted brand name that can be relied upon for quality products and solid customer service.
- Works with other smart house technology.
- With the help of a third-party app you can sync the light with music and films.
- The LightStrips are not cheap for what they are.
- The adhesive strip used on the back of the LightStrip is not very strong and the strips easily fall off if mounted without using other means of fixing it.
- The light strip can be cut down, but – obviously – cannot then be repaired at a later date, which, given the expense of the strip, makes each alteration a rather pricey one.
- You must download the app and have/ use Wi-Fi in order to get the most out of the LightStrip.
- EU Energy Efficiency Label: A.
- Wattage: 20.5 watts.
- Volate: 230 volts.
- Luminous Flux: 1600 Lumen.
- Features: Dimmable, colour changing, Wi-Fi controllable, Diffused light effect.
This is a must buy for anyone who wants a home that will stand out and inspire.